ENERGY SAVING TIPS – HEATING AND COOLING + WATER HEATING
As the price of energy continues to rise, it is helpful to find energy saving tips to help optimize energy usage. Heating and Cooling contribute to the highest portion of utility bills. There are several preemptive steps we can take to cut down on our energy consumption.
Water Heating Tips
- Take more showers than baths. Typically, you use 15-25 gallons of hot water for a bath while using less than 10 gallons for a 5 minute shower.
- Leaky faucets waste gallons of water. Let our trained plumbing professionals resolve your issue.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater. In most cases, 115° F provides comfortable hot water.
- Most water heaters last around 10 years before going bad. If your water heater is older than 10 years, it is wise to research or consult with our professionals on which replacement options may be best for your application. Tankless water heaters are much more efficient but come with a higher up-front cost.
Heating and Cooling Tips
- Thermostats sense heat from nearby appliances such as TV’s, lamps and ovens which may result in your AC running longer than necessary.
- Using interior fans can help distribute heating and cooling more effectively through your home without greatly increasing your power use. Your fan direction in the winter needs to be clockwise to create an updraft. Turn the fan counterclockwise in the summer to create a downdraft.
- In the winter, keep your draperies and shades on south-facing windows open during the day to allow sunlight in. Close them at night to reduce the chill.
In conclusion, there certainly are energy saving tips available to help optimize your home energy use. Following these tips can help save money and cause less strain on your systems. When it comes time to replace your old systems – select new heating and cooling equipment with energy-efficiency in mind. We provide free estimates on new equipment and we are able to answer any questions that you may have. Give us a call today to schedule your free estimate. 319-364-HEAT (4328). “Call the Guys You Can Trust.”